:: Re: [Bricolabs] IP / IoT House
Author: Rob van Kranenburg
Subject: Re: [Bricolabs] IP / IoT House
Dear Stephen,

Great to see the networks converging.
The idea of the house is sound and urgent.

A good start
http://www.wsnblog.com/2011/11/15/why-the-internet-of-things-finally-makes-sense/
also Project Herma - starting and starting up, in its own pace
http://herma.duekin.com/

We want to ensure a good flow between the gateways to the body area
netwoirk - glasses, hearing aides, the LAN - smart meter, the WAN - the
car and the VWAN - the smart city. That flow should be open.

I just wrote this for SHARE, Belgrade

3. Do people on other sides of the world and among various cultures and
political ideologies see Internet of Things differently? More as a
commodity or a possible threat? How and if, why does it vary?

It is very difficult not to perceive it as a real and deep threat if you
are told for the first time that everything is going to talk to
everything, when you assume that the power structures in this world:
capital and state – both strong forces of competition – will remain the
same. If that is the case you see Big Brother looming and rightly so. It
is also very difficult as a person of sentiment, of feeling – of poetry –
not to deeply feel very sad and sometimes out of breathing – the very
ability to draw breath - as the heidegerrian open space in the woods is
no longer 'open' but has become a dump for loveless things and shameless
behaviuur bereft of any respect or honor for life itself. This is a
reality. It can not be denied.
So where does that leave us now? Do we jump like lemmings? Or hide in FB?
I think we can only ride this wave and strenghten all current forces of
collaboration to use these developments to strenghten endusers versus
industry and government to such an extent that we no longer oppose or
occupy dead spaces but occupy the new gateways of IoT: smart glasses and
hearing aides as gateways to the body are network, smart meters as
gateways to the home, smart mobility routers as gateways to the cars and
smart local decision making to occupy the smart city. Fully open, fully
open source.

Let's kick it!

salut, Rob
ps in Aarhus, Carsten if you are there can you text me tomorrow at
0031641930235