:: Re: [DNG] KDE Desktop Question
Author: Ludovic Bellière
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] KDE Desktop Question
I've been using KDE for over a year now, and it is running quite well. Thought,
I'm not playing with kmail. All the "integrated stuff" seems to reside in the
akonadi project[1] which I barely use. I mean, it's just weird and I don't
understand it. I had to create a database, and they wanted me to install mySQL.
So I told akonadi that sqlite would do fine, and it is indeed fine. But I
digress.

As of now, KDE itself is less of a ressource hog than firefox. It is somewhat
modular, as in you can chose not to run various 'K' services and the basic DE
will be just fine. KDE became helpful, providing tools that does work with you.

KDE implement defaults you'd expect from a desktop environment, beyond handling
windows I mean. It's been out of my way, while fielding powerful tools. I didn't
have to configure konsole, I didn't have to tinker with dolphin. I really
appreciate that I simply installed the DE, and then went on my day without any
Gnomish BS. It's as if the people who designed KDE actively use it and, like me,
prefer practicality over fine arts.

Cheers,
                 Ludovic

[1]: https://community.kde.org/KDE_PIM/Akonadi#Mission_Statement