:: Re: [DNG] KDE Desktop Question
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] KDE Desktop Question
Martin Steigerwald said on Wed, 10 Jul 2024 19:46:36 +0200

>Steve Litt - 10.07.24, 18:42:59 CEST:
>> dbus. Also, it's got so much stuff interacting with each other that
>> it's a resource hog, and if your computer is at all flaky, KDE will
>> make it flake much more often. Imagine you've opened Chromium tabs
>> for Javacript piggy sites Buick.Com, Ford.Com, Chevy.Com, Jeep.Com
>> and Dodge.Com. In the best of situations your computer will be slow
>> and maybe glitchy. Now throw in the KDE resource hog, and watch your
>> problems multiply.
>
>That KDE is a resource hog is a myth.

Here's what I know from personal experience...

In the early 00's my old, poorly provisioned and glitchy travelling
mid-tower used KDE and could not make it the whole way through a
demonstration or presentation. I replaced KDE with IceWM and it became
a very capable machine.

In the early 10's a KDE app, I think Kmail, produced instances of
dbus-daemon that consumed well over 90% of CPU. I had to create a
looping daemon that, if dbus-daemon was over 90% twice in 3 seconds,
killed dbus-daemon.

Kmail2 was a showcase for the KDE philosophy: "Include everything you
can, and bind as tightly as you can with the most complex interfaces
you can." All of a second there was a conspicuous time and CPU
consuming Akonadi, and some gigantic pig named Nepomuk. And don't
forget that the 1.6GB soprano-virtuoso.db file.

My philosophy is "make everything as simple as possible". KDE's
philosophy is "weld in everything you possibly can".

I suppose it's possible that in the 12 years I haven't used KDE that
they've somehow made it simple and more modular. But it's really not
worth the time to find out. If they've simplified, they'd be the only
software project to do so.

The last time I used KDE it was a horrendous resource hog, and
I didn't need a top or vmstat command to tell me so: A stop watch was
sufficient.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://444domains.com