:: Re: [DNG] KDE Desktop Question
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] KDE Desktop Question
Martin Steigerwald said on Sat, 13 Jul 2024 12:54:24 +0200

>Hi Steve, hi everyone,
>
>Steve Litt - 11.07.24, 04:05:50 CEST:

>> In the early 00's my old, poorly provisioned and glitchy travelling
>> mid-tower used KDE and could not make it the whole way through a
>> demonstration or presentation. I replaced KDE with IceWM and it
>> became a very capable machine.
>
>And thus you concluded its all KDE's fault, instead of actually
>looking at the poorly provisioned and glitchy bits of the mid-tower?

Correct! And here's why:

The poorly provisioned and glitchy mid-tower was what I could afford at
the time. I got an extra year of life out of this miserable machine by
switching from KDE to IceWM. A savings of $300.00. At the time I was
the sole support of a family of 5 and was saving for our
triplets'college education.

:-) But of course you correctly pointed out that the technological root
cause was my krappy komputer. Switching from KDE to IceWM (temporarily)
fixed the symptom but left the root cause standing.

I thought long and hard about this while I was swimming today and
realize it's a a perfect showcase for the philosophy I've been
developing since 1968, when I was 18 years old. A philosophy that
sprang from bicycles, of all things. I'll try to write about this
philosophy tomorrow.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt