:: Re: [DNG] Ignorant question: What i…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Ignorant question: What is the point of removing systemd while keeping elogind?
Le 07/01/2024 à 03:28, Thorsten Glaser via Dng a écrit :
> On Sat, 6 Jan 2024, Steve Litt wrote:
>
>> has created an empty package, called
>> logind-considered-harmful, that appears to my package management
> It’s here:
> http://www.mirbsd.org/~tg/Debs/dists/sarge/wtf/Pkgs/mirabilos-support/
>
>> ignorant mind to make elogind unnecessary. Judging from conversations
> It does not “make elogind unnecessary” per se.
>
> What it does is satisfy dependencies on logind (e or systemd or else)
> but not actually honouring the “contract to provide logind”.
>
> Basically, software that actually tries to call logind functionality
> (AFAIHH that’d be GNOME but no idea what else) would get an error or
> no response.
>
> But if software does not actually require it (and the software I’m
> using does not even if it depends, via policykit, on it) then you can
> get by doing so.
>
> I think the thing I’m “missing out” is that software can ask via
> policykit for sudo-ish things and elevate its own privilegues that
> way. That, though, is something I don’t want on my systems anyway
> (I can just “sudo reboot” instead of clicking on buttons… or even
> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace+Ctrl-Alt-Del :).
>
> bye,
> //mirabilos

    Hi Thorsten.

    I gave a look at the package list in your repository. Many names
are pretty attractive to me like "prevent-policykit" or "prevent-dbus".
It'd be nice to have their descriptions easily available without the
need to add the repository in the apt list.

    Also I consider it convenient for me to use the Xfce4 desktop
environment but I'm afraid it couldn't work without dbus and policykit
-- policykit is something horrible, the only purpose of which is to
replace sudo by something  more complicated. I'm still looking for a DE
of the same kind (movable windows and panel) but independant of dbus,
policykit and PAM.

    In the last 20 years, the only evolution of the Linux desktop has
been this rush towards needless complexity which brings zero additional
service.

--     Didier