:: Re: [DNG] Fw: Ignorant question: Wh…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Fw: Ignorant question: What is the point of removing systemd while keeping elogind?
Le 08/01/2024 à 02:48, Olaf Meeuwissen via Dng a écrit :
> Just because I highlighted the packages that have a dependency with
> alternatives doesn't remove the fact that libpam-elogind has a
> dependency on elogind*without* alternatives.

    The dependance is advertised in its name. I think the logical
reason for the dependance and the name is as simple as  "if you remove
elogind you remove its need for authentication; therefore what would you
want to keep the dedicated PAM modules for?"

    Simillarly if you have amule-gnome-support installed and you remove
amule, you will automatically remove amule-gnome-support *without*
alternative.

    For logind/elogind, what I would like to know is what service it
provides which cannot be replaced by simple things like sudo. Beyond
satisfying the developpers' addiction to complexity, of course.

    I currently use the Xfce4 panel with 3 buttons for logout, reboot
and halt, but sometimes they fail to work and I fall back to opening a
root console or a terminal emulator to achieve the operation. I remember
a few years ago I had replaced two of these buttons by custom ones which
just invoqued 'sudo reboot' and 'sudo halt' and these never failed.

--     Didier