:: Re: [DNG] Ignorant question: What i…
Author: Thorsten Glaser
To: Steve Litt
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Ignorant question: What is the point of removing systemd while keeping elogind?
On Sat, 6 Jan 2024, Steve Litt wrote:

>has created an empty package, called
>logind-considered-harmful, that appears to my package management

It’s here:
http://www.mirbsd.org/~tg/Debs/dists/sarge/wtf/Pkgs/mirabilos-support/

>ignorant mind to make elogind unnecessary. Judging from conversations

It does not “make elogind unnecessary” per se.

What it does is satisfy dependencies on logind (e or systemd or else)
but not actually honouring the “contract to provide logind”.

Basically, software that actually tries to call logind functionality
(AFAIHH that’d be GNOME but no idea what else) would get an error or
no response.

But if software does not actually require it (and the software I’m
using does not even if it depends, via policykit, on it) then you can
get by doing so.

I think the thing I’m “missing out” is that software can ask via
policykit for sudo-ish things and elevate its own privilegues that
way. That, though, is something I don’t want on my systems anyway
(I can just “sudo reboot” instead of clicking on buttons… or even
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace+Ctrl-Alt-Del :).

bye,
//mirabilos
--
„Cool, /usr/share/doc/mksh/examples/uhr.gz ist ja ein Grund,
mksh auf jedem System zu installieren.“