:: Re: [DNG] Devuan and ReaR
Author: Manny
To: Antony Stone
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan and ReaR
Antony,

ReaR is awesome. You should try it. It really makes backup and restore
to a fully functional system a snap.
What it does is it creates an ISO file that is bootable. It creates your
filesystem identical to the original, restores all files and makes the
new filesystem bootable.
Of course there is a lot more to it than what I just described, but you
get the gist.
As described, it works fine on Debian 11 but fails on Devuan 4.
blkid does not return anything once the ISO is booted because it hasn't
run the restore scripts.
I believe it has to do with not being able to init properly due to
systemd components not being available.
I have a thread started with ReaR on Github. You can follow here if
interested:
https://github.com/rear/rear/issues/2955

Thanks

Manny