:: Re: [DNG] Devuan and ReaR
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan and ReaR
On Tuesday 07 March 2023 at 18:49:19, Manny via Dng wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been a Devuan user for years. I love the systemd freedom it offers.
> Having said that, recently I wanted to try this backup utility called
> Relax-and-Recover (Rear).
> While rear packages are available on Devuan, the utility does not work
> as expected and I believe it may be due to systemd not being there.
>
> So on my Devuan 4 I did "apt-get install rear", and it installed without
> a glitch.
>
> It runs and creates the backup just fine, but then when it's time to
> restore it blows, up and falls apart. The error is: "cannot mount ISO
> because there is no /dev/disk/by-label/RELAXRECOVER"
> I don't know exactly how and why this is, but if I duplicate the same
> exact steps on Debian 11, it works without a problem.

My first question about this (I've neither heard of nor uses Rear) is:

Does a disk (partition) with that label exist after you have done a backup,
and the restore process is for some reason unable to find it, or is the backup
process not creating a partition with that label?

After doing a backup, what does "blkid" tell you about the partitions and
labels which exist?

Antony.

--
If I needed my own advice, I wouldn't give it to others.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.