:: Re: [DNG] OT: Damned phones
Author: tito
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] OT: Damned phones
On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 09:59:08 -0800
capercally.bleery670@??? wrote:

> This only touches very lightly on devuan, but I feel here is the only
> place where I get a friendly audience for this query.
>
> I am desperately looking for a way to upload files from my Android 12
> phone to my Unix desktop, subject to several constraints:
>
> - no round trip to cloud and back, I can't afford the bandwidth
> - no MTP over USB, too fscking unreliable
> - only libre Android apps (available from F-droid), as there's no
> google account on the phone
>
> There are apps that look like they *should* work, such as ServeIt,
> but it turns out that most (or all) of them have not been updated
> for the ever-more-locked-down newer Androids, where the "Access all
> files" permission seems very hard to obtain.
>
> Thanks for hints.

Hi,
there are a few solutions:
1) using the Kde desktop install kdeconnect:

apt list kdeconnect

"Tool to integrate your smartphone, tablet, and desktop devices.
Remote-control, share files, synchronize notifications, and more!
At the moment it only supports Android-based mobile devices. Linux desktop
devices are well-supported, with ports available for other operating systems."

from f-droid install the "Kde Connect" app and you can transfer files from/to the phone.

P.S.: I've read that they plan a version for the Gnome DE if you prefer...

2) install apache2 and owncloud to your desktop:

Follow the tutorial at:
https://www.linode.com/docs/guides/install-and-configure-owncloud-on-debian-10/

but use the repository;

deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/isv:/ownCloud:/server:/10/Debian_10/ /

or

deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/isv:/ownCloud:/server:/10/Debian_11/ /

    install the owncloud app from F-droid to your phone so you can use the
        webdav protocol to transfer files, calendars, contacts, photo galleries
      over wifi or  GSM/LTE network.
      A nice paid app is FolderSyncPro (from Google Play) if you want
      automatic sync from/to the phone.

3) install samba on your desktop and a file manager
     from F-droid with a samba plugin.

4) install a ftp server on your desktop and a ftp client on your phone.

Hope this helps.

Ciao,
Tito