:: [DNG] Use adb on the Damned phones
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Use adb on the Damned phones
On Fri, Mar 03, 2023 at 09:59:08AM -0800, capercally.bleery670@??? wrote:
> This only touches very lightly on devuan, but I feel here is the only
> place where I get a friendly audience for this query.
>
> I am desperately looking for a way to upload files from my Android 12
> phone to my Unix desktop, subject to several constraints:
>
> - no round trip to cloud and back, I can't afford the bandwidth
> - no MTP over USB, too fscking unreliable
> - only libre Android apps (available from F-droid), as there's no
> google account on the phone

adb over USB. adb is the android debugger, which runs on your computer and has abilities fo transfer files to and from your phone, install apps on your phone, and much more.

I installed it to my Devuan laptop fromo the Devuan package manager, so it's likely easy to get on a variety of Linux distros.

You don't have to install anything on an Android phone; you do, however, have to put the phone in developer mode. The instructions for doing this vary from phone to phone.

-- hendrik