:: Re: [DNG] Hardware support for new …
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Hardware support for new Thinkpad?
On Sunday 24 April 2022 at 13:28:38, . via Dng wrote:

> I just got a Thinkpad P1 gen 4, and Chimaera doesn't recognize the
> audio, camera, or HDMI port (not to mention the fingerprint sensor in
> the power switch). I could use some guidance in what to look for...

I would start with lspci, lsusb and possibly dmidecode.

> It has a Tiger Lake-H processor, I don't know what chipset. I think I
> need a command like "lspci" to identify the multimedia hardware, but I
> don't know what to look for.

Anything which says "audio" or "video" in the output is a good start :)

> For what it's worth, the last couple of releases of Ubuntu *do* support
> the multimedia hardware.

In that case I would boot into a (live?) version of Ubuntu and run:

    lsusb
    lspci
    lsmod

That last command will tell you which kernel modules have been loaded in order
to support the various hardware devices.

> Do I need to move to Daedalus?

Possibly - it's worth a try, to see whether it does a better job with less
work than persuading Chimaera.

Yes, for example http://devuan.bardia.tech/devuan_daedalus/installer-iso/

> Thanks for any help in getting this machine up on Devuan.

Feel free to post the output of lsusb and lspci here (best from Ubuntu, since
it seems really to know what the things are) in case anyone recognises devices
and can point you further in a helpful direction.

Antony.

--
The first fifty percent of an engineering project takes ninety percent of the
time, and the remaining fifty percent takes another ninety percent of the time.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.