:: Re: [DNG] system administration of …
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] system administration of non-systemd distros and releases
Peter Duffy said on Thu, 25 Nov 2021 13:51:18 +0000

>I can't add much to the description of the situation without violating
>confidentiality constraints. However, I can say a few things about my
>own position re. this. If it's TL:DR - apologies and no worries.

Given the confidentiality constraints, the only advice I can give
would be that if these servers are primarily to run one or a few
daemons, runit would be extremely easy for admins to run and use. You
could write a document about using runit to init the system, email it
(sanitized for confidentiality constraints) to prospective admins
before their interviews, and see which applicants can handle the
extremely easy and simple runit system.

If the system is very complex and has to boot quickly, I think your
choices are systemd and s6. Today's s6, with its rc-init, is not
simple, so management's fears would have some basis. In this case, you
might get some help from s6 author Laurent Bercot.

One last thing: Capitulating to their "we want systemd so we have
trained people" bias isn't something to be ashamed of. Business is
business.

SteveT

Steve Litt