:: Re: [DNG] system administration of …
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] system administration of non-systemd distros and releases
On Friday 19 November 2021 at 12:06:48, Didier Kryn wrote:

> Le 19/11/2021 à 12:29, Peter Duffy a écrit :
> > I've recently been asked to recommend an upgrade route for a number of
> > linux servers, and I proposed going to devuan. In response, I've had a
> > concern raised which took me by surprise. It was suggested that in the
> > future, it may not be possible to find staff who have the skills to
> > administer and manage servers running non-systemd or pre-systemd
> > distros/releases.

>     I suggest that professional admins haven't blinkers like horses and
> are supposed to be educated enough to be able to learn even a completely
> new OS.

This is true, but it's not the techies who are the concern - it's the
employers - they're going to ask for "Red Hat admins", or ask interview
questions about managing systemd machines.

You might be capable of learning all sorts of stuff, but an employer wants you
to know about it on day one and start doing the job.

Antony.

--
I think broken pencils are pointless.

                                                   Please reply to the list;