:: Re: [DNG] system administration of …
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] system administration of non-systemd distros and releases
Radisson via Dng said on Wed, 1 Dec 2021 21:55:13 +0100

>Am 19.11.21 um 12:29 schrieb Peter Duffy:
>> I've recently been asked to recommend an upgrade route for a number
>> of linux servers, and I proposed going to devuan. In response, I've
>> had a concern raised which took me by surprise. It was suggested
>> that in the future, it may not be possible to find staff who have
>> the skills to administer and manage servers running non-systemd or
>> pre-systemd distros/releases.
>>

>FUD,

But it's the customer's FUD, so if the OP wants to get money for a
well-crafted project, he needs to address this issue.

>i do unix since 25 year and if your sysadmin is not capable the manage
>a few scripts whats that ?
> From my point of view is systemd a still developing target, that no
> one
>really understands.

If there's a PID1/supervisor that nobody really understands, that says
a lot of that PID/supervisor. I use runit, and I can explain it in
minute detail. That's the difference between runit and systemd.

SteveT

Steve Litt