:: [DNG] system administration of non-…
Author: Peter Duffy
To: [DNG]
Subject: [DNG] system administration of non-systemd distros and releases
I've recently been asked to recommend an upgrade route for a number of
linux servers, and I proposed going to devuan. In response, I've had a
concern raised which took me by surprise. It was suggested that in the
future, it may not be possible to find staff who have the skills to
administer and manage servers running non-systemd or pre-systemd
distros/releases.

I've tried to give reassurance - but I'm still wondering if this could
be a valid concern. I'd always taken the view that it's primarily the
linux sysadmin community which is trying to stop the onslaught of the
systemd juggernaut - but obviously, the greater the proportion of
servers running systemd-based distros/releases, the less staff get
exposed to non-systemd management techniques and tools.

I'd be grateful for thoughts and comments.