:: Re: [DNG] Information request re: w…
Author: Alexander Brüning
To: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [DNG] Information request re: wayland
On Thu, 2021-09-02 at 14:16 -0500, o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:
> Greetings
>
> My long time mentor in things Linux (described himself as a fossil) is no
> longer with us. (He suggested that I strongly consider using Devuan which
> I now have on one system.)
> He was of the opinion that Wayland - - - whatever its exact function, was
> really not worth running.
> Yet it is being touted as the X11 replacement and is now supposedly
> capable of handling both multi-gpu and multi-monitor setups.
>
> What say you?
>
> TIA

I keep looking into Wayland every 6 months or so. It isn't ready yet. There
are a bunch of native, minimalist window managers for it and apparently the
X compatibility layer works quite well, but all the slightly heavier WMs/DEs
didn't convince me. Gnome is just a default no from me, KDE works but keeps
crashing, XFCE isn't ported yet and the few small native DEs are still very
early. The most usable WM seems to be Sway, but that is heavily inspired by
i3 which I personally don't like.

What I can say on the positive side though is that it works just fine on my
Systemd-free Gentoo installation (haven't tried it on Devuan yet) and seems
very smooth. On AMD at least. Nvidia has really, really dragged its feet on
supporting the necessary extensions.

Somewhat related: Pipewire is already much, much better than Pulseaudio and
seems ready for daily use. If you have a need for something that provides
functionality above pure ALSA give it a go.