:: Re: [DNG] Information request re: w…
Author: Bruce Perens
To: Alexander Brüning
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [DNG] Information request re: wayland
Unfortunately there isn't really a good display solution for Linux
that does not make use of "direct rendering", in which user-mode code
talks directly to the display hardware - especially where 3D and video
are concerned. It is simply not possible to construct a reliable
system in which user-mode code has direct access to hardware. In any
well-designed system, this is exclusively a kernel function. Wayland
just takes the user-mode code even closer to the hardware.

    Thanks

    Bruce