:: Re: [DNG] Information request re: w…
Author: o1bigtenor
To: Steve Litt
CC: Devuan ML
Subject: Re: [DNG] Information request re: wayland
On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 2:09 AM Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:

> spiralofhope said on Thu, 2 Sep 2021 20:33:35 -0700
>
> >On Thu, 2 Sep 2021 14:16:58 -0500
> >o1bigtenor via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
> >
> >> He was of the opinion that Wayland - - - whatever its exact function,
> >> was really not worth running.
> >
> >I've been interested in it because of promises of eliminating screen
> >tearing when watching videos. I don't know if that's been implemented
> >yet though.
>
> When I want to eliminate screen tearing in any situation, I take out
> the nVidia and put in a Radeon.
>
> I had this system built in early 2012.

I've tried using both a Radeon 570 and a pair of 460s.
Neither time was I able to get the system up.
There is nothing I would like better than to get rid of nouveau - - - as
soon
as I plug the 5th monitor (4k) in I've got uptime down to less than 28
hours.
More commonly the uptime is under 12 hours and as it takes about 35 to 40
minutes to set everything back up that's just far too much time wasted.

If anyone can help me figure out why the pair of 460s won't work (think the
570
needs a newer pci implementation but dunno) I would love to hear it!!!!

(I have - - I think -- - - just thrown in the towel on trying to compile a
kernel with
some specific commands to enable nouveau debugging - - - another 5 or 6
hours down the tubes. The 1050 Ti card is from 2016 and one would think
that
it would be fully supported some 4 years later - - - - but not so! - - -
yes I'm
grumpy - - - - far too much time poured down a hole with nothing to show
for
it - - - I use these systems - - - - they are not somewhere I want to live
on!!)

Thanking one and all for their ideas and encouragement!!!!