:: Re: [DNG] Only a few packages now s…
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Only a few packages now still on hold
On Sun, 1 Aug 2021 21:58:47 -0400, Hendrik wrote in message
<20210802015847.d7gxxdu7ts753dt3@???>:

> On Sun, Aug 01, 2021 at 09:54:33PM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 01, 2021 at 01:13:26PM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> > > I have not yet changed my sources. I figured I should make sure
> > > the ascii system is up-to-date as an ascii system before I start
> > > to upgrade to beowulf.

> > > I used the update and upgrade inside the interactive aptitude.
> > >
> > > I guess I have to do dist-upgrade outside the interacctive
> > > aptitude.
> >
> > And today I did aptitude update and aptitude upgrade in the CLI
> > instead of in the interactive apttude. Just about everything just
> > worked, except for 3 packages:
> > elogind
> > libpam-elogind
> > libelogind0
> > They do nog get upgraded.
> >
> > Following this with
> > aptitude dist-upgrade
> > tells me these will be upgraded, but then balks, telling me to
> > remove libpam-elogind
>
> This is what it says:
>
> root@notlookedfor:~# aptitude dist-upgrade
> elogind libelogind0 libpam-elogind{b}
> 3 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not
> upgraded. Need to get 861 kB of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be
> used. The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> libpam-elogind : Breaks: libpam-ck-connector but 0.4.6-6 is installed
> The following actions will resolve these dependencies:
>
>      Remove the following packages:
> 1)     libpam-elogind [234.4-1+devuan1.5 (now)]

..this IME often happens when a newer version needs the old version
stopping it's service(s) and a purge before installing and starting
up the new version.

> Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?]

..hit [q], then restart aptitude in the interactive mode, mark
libpam-elogind [234.4-1+devuan1.5 (now)] for removal, as it whines
"Error", hit [e] and browse aptitude's suggestions with [,] and [.]
to see if you can agree on any solution, if not, [q] out and find
aptitude's opinion on "Broken packages" with [B].

..my _guess_ is you may be able to find old lib config files
blocking the removal of libpam-ck-connector or some such.
Purge them.

..hitting [e] and then [Enter] on a package, will find possible
version numbers of that package at the bottom, picking another
newer or older version may also solve your conflict.

..as Tito, Mark, Tom, Rod and I advices, apt, apt-get and probably
a few more, solves package conflicts differently from each other
and from aptitude, IME I can often use e.g. apt-get or even dpkg
when aptitude fails me. Options I remember throwing around also
includes --safe-update and --full-update.

> > How safe is this? isn't elogind kind of important?
> >
> > I'm still just upgrading from ascii to ascii. Beowulf is not in my
> > sights yet.
> >
> > -- hendrik

Scenarios always come in sets of three: