:: Re: [DNG] Only a few packages now s…
Author: Mark Hindley
To: Hendrik Boom
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Only a few packages now still on hold
Hendrik,

As suggested by Rod, I also prefer plain apt to aptitude. In general it is a
very good package manager and is pretty successful at resolving dependencies and
not breaking your system.

On Sun, Aug 01, 2021 at 09:58:47PM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > And today I did aptitude update and aptitude upgrade in the CLI instead
> > of in the interactive apttude. Just about everything just worked,
> > except for 3 packages:
> > elogind
> > libpam-elogind
> > libelogind0
> > They do nog get upgraded.
> >

> > Following this with
> > aptitude dist-upgrade
> > tells me these will be upgraded, but then balks, telling me to remove
> > libpam-elogind
>
> This is what it says:
>
> root@notlookedfor:~# aptitude dist-upgrade
> elogind libelogind0 libpam-elogind{b}
> 3 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 861 kB of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.
> libpam-elogind : Breaks: libpam-ck-connector but 0.4.6-6 is installed
> The following actions will resolve these dependencies:
>
>      Remove the following packages:
> 1)     libpam-elogind [234.4-1+devuan1.5 (now)]

> Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?]
>

> > How safe is this? isn't elogind kind of important?

Yes it can be, but no more so than consolekit. There are 2 alternatives for managing
seats and sessions in Devuan: consolekit (actually consolekit2) and elogind.

Consolekit was probably the default in ascii. It is inactive upstream, but still
works. Elogind is active and well supported and is the default since
beowulf. However, the codebase derives from systemd and therefore some people
will prefer not to use it.

So, you need one or other, but not both or a mixture.

aptitude seems to suggest that you already have elogind installed and this is an
upgrade. You will have to allow apt to remove the consolekit related packages
(libpam-ck-connector and possibly some policykit libraries). Alternatively,
stick with consolekit and remove all of the elogind related packages. The choice
is yours. Both will work once you have a clean installation based on a single
logind alternative.

Mark