:: Re: [DNG] Only a few packages now s…
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Only a few packages now still on hold
On Mon, 2 Aug 2021 22:15:31 +1000, wirelessduck--- wrote in message
<3A609FA9-9CCA-42E3-A66F-FD9F66D69857@???>:

> > On 2 Aug 2021, at 19:02, Mark Hindley <mark@???> wrote:
> >
> > Yes it can be, but no more so than consolekit. There are 2
> > alternatives for managing seats and sessions in Devuan: consolekit
> > (actually consolekit2) and elogind.
> >
> > Consolekit was probably the default in ascii. It is inactive
> > upstream, but still works. Elogind is active and well supported
> > and is the default since beowulf. However, the codebase derives
> > from systemd and therefore some people will prefer not to use it.
> >
> > So, you need one or other, but not both or a mixture.
> >
> > aptitude seems to suggest that you already have elogind installed
> > and this is an upgrade. You will have to allow apt to remove the
> > consolekit related packages (libpam-ck-connector and possibly some
> > policykit libraries). Alternatively, stick with consolekit and
> > remove all of the elogind related packages. The choice is yours.
> > Both will work once you have a clean installation based on a single
> > logind alternative.
> >
> > Mark
>
> Is seatd likely to get anywhere in the next Debian development cycle
> after bullseye/chimaera?

..I guess not, unless Debian dumps systemd:
https://git.sr.ht/~kennylevinsen/seatd

> Would this allow us to just need only one option for users to install?

..we should probably do our own packaging of this, and much more,
chk output of: how-can-i-help --old |less

..103 packages due to be kicked out now, many of these were left
behind by DD leaving since the systemd coup...
arnt@d44:~$ how-can-i-help --old |grephttps://tracker.debian.org/pkg/ \
|cut -d" " -f5 |sort |uniq |wc -l
103

..more details in: apt-cache show $(how-can-i-help --old |grep \
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/ |cut -d" " -f3 |sort |uniq ) |less

..806 since I began capturing said sad output into my own list.
arnt@d44:~$ cat how-can-I-help |grep https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/ \
|cut -d" " -f5 |sort |uniq |wc -l
806
arnt@d44:~$