:: Re: [DNG] APT upgrade, was USB moun…
Author: Alessandro Vesely
To: Patrick Bartek, dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] APT upgrade, was USB mount problem
Hi,

On Sun 04/Jul/2021 21:09:01 +0200 Patrick Bartek wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Jul 2021 13:01:52 +0200
> Alessandro Vesely via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
>> On Sat 26/Jun/2021 01:10:08 +0200 Patrick Bartek Via Dng wrote:
>>>
>>> This is one of the "gotchas" that can happen when running an "in
>>> development" version. As far as why it happen: could be a number of
>>> things. Most of the time, it's because a dependency, like udevil to
>>> spacefm, become mismatched version-wise. That is, udevil has become
>>> "too old" to work with spacefm, and the upgrade process uninstalls
>>> it. Try "full-grade" instead of just "upgrade" to get the newer
>>> version of the dependencies when "upgrading." In fact, this is the
>>> recommended procedure when running an "in development" or testing
>>> version.
>>
>> I tried apt-get dist-upgrade afterwards, but it didn't bring up much
>> staff. Later on, I found that some software that I don't use very
>> often was removed from my system. I had to install anew Inkscape and
>> MariaDB server.
>
> Without knowing the particulars of how you installed Chimaera or how
> it's configured, it's going to be difficult to diagnose your problems.
> However, the main problem is that you are using Chimaera which is still
> in development, and that can introduce problems. Although, usually,
> they correct themselves when the developers do the next round of
> "fixes."
>
> Did you do a clean install or upgrade from a previous version? IIRC,
> you dist-upgraded from a Debian distro, but I've forgotten which one.
> This can and does introduce problems even if done correctly.

Here's the sequence of what I did: I wrote to the list each time, so I know the exactly when.

4 January 2020: migrate from debian/stretch to beowulf
https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20200104.101800.7b0f18cb.en.html
Beowulf was the stable version at the time. Afterwards, I upgraded it regularly and smoothly.

19 April 2021: upgrade from beowulf to chimaera.
https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20210419.111049.2c050382.en.html