:: Re: [DNG] Migrating from debian str…
Author: Alessandro Vesely
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Migrating from debian stretch/ openbox
On Sat 04/Jan/2020 03:00:43 +0100 golinux wrote:

> Have fun!!

Ok, I did it! I slavishly followed migrate-to-ascii[*], except

* I skipped install and config of xfce4, since I had openbox,
* I skipped install sysvinit-core and reboot, as sysvinit was already running,
* I also added contrib and non-free to the four lines in sources.list,
* in order to install devuan-keyring I removed /etc/apt.conf.d/99default-release (was APT::Default-Release "stretch"),

Everything went like a breeze, except on shutting down the system, instead of rebooting it froze in a loop printing:

printk messages dropped ** [numbers] IO_PAGE_FAULT device=00:12.0 domain=3 address=0x80 flags=0x20

I powered off. The boot was fine, except for wicd. After openbox started, it displayed a window asking for a password. Then it claimed the password was wrong. I hit "cancel", and it quit, threatening that the UI wouldn't work until I made it work. The box is a wired desktop, and works perfectly nevertheless. Suspending ans resuming works fine.

Thank you all for the tips and a great thank to all Veteran Unix Admins who created Devuan!

best
Ale
--

[*] https://devuan.org/os/documentation/dev1fanboy/migrate-to-ascii