:: Re: [DNG] APT upgrade, was USB moun…
Author: Patrick Bartek
To: dng
CC: Alessandro Vesely
Subject: Re: [DNG] APT upgrade, was USB mount problem
On Sat, 3 Jul 2021 13:01:52 +0200
Alessandro Vesely via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat 26/Jun/2021 01:10:08 +0200 Patrick Bartek Via Dng wrote:
> > On Fri, 25 Jun 2021 11:34:32 +0200
> > Alessandro Vesely via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
> >> After I did a system upgrade, I couldn't mount an USB key any
> >> more, until I manually installed udevil. What happened,
> >> dependency changes? >
> > This is one of the "gotchas" that can happen when running an "in
> > development" version. As far as why it happen: could be a number of
> > things. Most of the time, it's because a dependency, like udevil to
> > spacefm, become mismatched version-wise. That is, udevil has become
> > "too old" to work with spacefm, and the upgrade process uninstalls
> > it. Try "full-grade" instead of just "upgrade" to get the newer
> > version of the dependencies when "upgrading." In fact, this is the
> > recommended procedure when running an "in development" or testing
> > version.
>

> I tried apt-get dist-upgrade afterwards, but it didn't bring up much
> staff. Later on, I found that some software that I don't use very
> often was removed from my system. I had to install anew Inkscape and
> MariaDB server.

Without knowing the particulars of how you installed Chimaera or how
it's configured, it's going to be difficult to diagnose your problems.
However, the main problem is that you are using Chimaera which is still
in development, and that can introduce problems. Although, usually,
they correct themselves when the developers do the next round of
"fixes."

Did you do a clean install or upgrade from a previous version? IIRC,
you dist-upgraded from a Debian distro, but I've forgotten which one.
This can and does introduce problems even if done correctly.

Post your /etc/apt/sources.list and anything that is
in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/, too. If they are not set up properly,
that can cause problems.

> I remember many release changes done in two steps, apt-get upgrade
> followed by apt-get dist-upgrade for the rest. This time it seems
> that the system forgot about removed packages. Is it so because
> chimaera is not yet released?

How did you remove those packages?

No. Chimaera still being Testing shouldn't be a cause..

When using Testing, don't use apt-get upgrade, but only apt-get
dist-upgrade or apt full-upgrade. This is recommended when
running Testing instead of Stable. Upgrade by design won't install major
upgrades to apps, system files, etc. which can occur with Testing.
After Testing (Chimaera) becomes Stable, then use only apt-get upgrade
or apt upgrade. There are times when dist-upgrade needs to be used
to "fix" something, but we'll deal with that later.