:: [DNG] Fwd: adding raspi to sources…
Author: dng@d404.nl
To: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: [DNG] Fwd: adding raspi to sources.list

On 31-03-2021 00:46, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 09:44:24PM +0200, dng@??? wrote:
>> For my regular Pi's i just have the following in my apt sources
>>
>> deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged beowulf main
>> deb-src http://deb.devuan.org/merged beowulf main
>> deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged beowulf-security main
>>
>> and this just works.
> So, I see there is a linux-image-4.19.0-16-armmp package, which just
> provides the kernel in /boot. I also see there is a raspi-firmware
> package, which seems to work with the kernel and initramfs-tools to provide
> firmware in /boot/firmware. It looks like /boot should be in the root
> file system, and /dev/mmcblk0p1 should now be mounted as
> /boot/firmware, correct? Does installing linux-image-4.19.0-16-armmp
> and raspi-firmware in Beowulf provide the necessary kernel and
> firmware to boot a raspberry pi, or are there more packages I need?
> For completeness, I'm upgrading to Beowulf on a raspberry pi 2b. Thanks.
>
> Greg

Edit: list.dyne.org was not added automatically.

I did not keep notes when I installed it but /dev/mmcblk0p1 has been
mounted as /boot. Booting from a Pi 2b depends on bootcode.bin, dtb's
and kernel being present on /dev/mmcblk0p1. If I remember correctly I
kept the whole install from a Raspbian sd-card and changed the
apt/sources.list first to ascii updated and after that to beowulf. And I
cloned and builded https://github.com/raspberrypi/userland for the
typical Raspberry Pi userland software.

I could not find the raspi-firmware package you mentioned. After adding
the non-free repo the raspi3-firmware was present which indeed contains
bootcode.bin etc. But apt tries to install this in /boot/firmware which
does not exist on my Pi. So maybe you need to copy the contents of
/usr/lib/raspi3-firmware/ manually to the mounted /boot directory. From
experimenting with booting from NFS I remember that bootcode.bin must be
present in the root of the first partition. Which after booting is
mounted under /boot

Remember this only works for Rpi 2 and higher. In the past I have been
bitten by updating a Pi 1b to Devuan Jessie because of the arm v7
instruction set being used in Devuan/Debian while Pi 1 and Zero are arm
v6 with hard float instructions.

Grt.

Nick