:: Re: [DNG] FSF and human rights
Author: tito
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] Collaboration between distros [WAS: FSF and human rights]
Subject: Re: [DNG] FSF and human rights
On Sat, 27 Mar 2021 17:50:07 +0100
Arnt Karlsen <arnt@???> wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Mar 2021 08:30:14 -0400, Steve wrote in message
> <20210327083014.2b434f9f@???>:
>
> > Alexis PM via Dng said on Sat, 27 Mar 2021 09:23:21 +0000 (UTC)

> > >I propose to extend the Devuan (and personal) signature of the
> > >quoted letter ( https://rms-support-letter.github.io/index.html )
> > >also to the other existing letter of support (more detailed but
> > >little known)
> > >https://gitlab.com/KenjiBrown/rms-open-letter/-/blob/master/index.md
> > >(replicated at
> > >https://github.com/KenjiBrown/rms-open-letter.github.io/blob/main/index.md
> >
> > You know, I might not be the best person to advocate for Devuan,
> > because pretty much everyone knows my Daily Driver Desktop (DDD) is
> > Void Linux. But I run Devuan on VMs, and if Void ever stops being
> > viable, Devuan is my Plan B.
> >
> > I think pretty much everyone also knows of my anti-systemd advocacy
> > in the critical 2014-2015 period, and I'm quite sure that advocacy
> > cost my business revenue in the five figures category.
>
> ..me, I was playing catch-up after Groklaw.net, also been subject to
> Kafka style games, next week I may be able to run for parliament here
> as, er, a slightly more human vrms... with a possibly firmer climate
> repair policy. ;o)
>
> ..climate is as simple as a chicken race, either we make farmland soil
> out of the methane clathrate tundra gas, or, it will make farmland
> soil out of us, just like it did with the dinosaurs, conodonts,
> synapsids, placoderms and trilobites, in those wonderful natural
> climate cycles so beloved by the gun toting far right. ;o)
>
> ..oh and the gun toters will love how climate compares to a shotgun
> cartridge: Bang on that primer like we humans dug-n-burned coal 'n
> oil, then watch the primer shake up 'n ignite the powder like we heat
> 'n shake up the tundra with CO2, and the next thing you know is
> watching the tundra shooting slugs straight up like a shot gun on TV
> or youtube, yeehaw.
>

> ..pump the excess heat out of the oceans and sell it as electricity,
> is just another one of my ways to fix it.
>
> > But this isn't about me. This is about some very brave VUAs who
> > built Devuan when everyone said it couldn't be done. Devuan is a
> > very valuable resource to many, many people. Without Devuan, the
> > cause of init-choice would be set back immensely.
>
> ..there's slackware.com. No apt, no deb, but we have alien, and we
> have people on both sides, who can help set up a formal bug tracking
> facility for slackware, that can also be set up to facilitate using
> Slackware as a viable upstream alternative to Debian for Devuan.

There is also PcLinuxOS even if rpm based but they have the full stack
systemd free and could be a source of code for devuan as they already
solved somehow most of the problems. Systemd free distros should
pool their efforts to avoid duplication and to gain critical mass.

Tito