:: Re: [DNG] FSF and human rights
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] FSF and human rights
On Sat, 27 Mar 2021 08:30:14 -0400, Steve wrote in message
<20210327083014.2b434f9f@???>:

> Alexis PM via Dng said on Sat, 27 Mar 2021 09:23:21 +0000 (UTC)
>
> > > Hi All,
> >>
> >> Debian is engaging in a disgusting attack against RMS:
> >> https://www.debian.org/vote/2021/vote_002
> >>
> >> Does Devuan have resolutions to sign open letters?
> >> I'd propose to sign this one instead:
> >> https://rms-support-letter.github.io/
> >>
> >> See also:
> >> An orthodox analysis entitled Justice for Dr. Richard Matthew
> >> Stallman, which recaps the whole story.
> >> https://jorgemorais.gitlab.io/justice-for-rms/
> >>
> >> A post, written by Hannah Wolfman-Jones, with a response from
> >> civil-rights expert Nadine Strossen, former president of the ACLU.
> >> https://www.wetheweb.org/post/cancel-we-the-web
> >>

> >I propose to extend the Devuan (and personal) signature of the quoted
> >letter ( https://rms-support-letter.github.io/index.html ) also to
> >the other existing letter of support (more detailed but little known)
> >https://gitlab.com/KenjiBrown/rms-open-letter/-/blob/master/index.md
> >(replicated at
> >https://github.com/KenjiBrown/rms-open-letter.github.io/blob/main/index.md
>
> You know, I might not be the best person to advocate for Devuan,
> because pretty much everyone knows my Daily Driver Desktop (DDD) is
> Void Linux. But I run Devuan on VMs, and if Void ever stops being
> viable, Devuan is my Plan B.
>
> I think pretty much everyone also knows of my anti-systemd advocacy in
> the critical 2014-2015 period, and I'm quite sure that advocacy cost
> my business revenue in the five figures category.

..me, I was playing catch-up after Groklaw.net, also been subject to
Kafka style games, next week I may be able to run for parliament here
as, er, a slightly more human vrms... with a possibly firmer climate
repair policy. ;o)

..climate is as simple as a chicken race, either we make farmland soil
out of the methane clathrate tundra gas, or, it will make farmland soil
out of us, just like it did with the dinosaurs, conodonts, synapsids,
placoderms and trilobites, in those wonderful natural climate cycles so
beloved by the gun toting far right. ;o)

..oh and the gun toters will love how climate compares to a shotgun
cartridge: Bang on that primer like we humans dug-n-burned coal 'n oil,
then watch the primer shake up 'n ignite the powder like we heat 'n
shake up the tundra with CO2, and the next thing you know is watching
the tundra shooting slugs straight up like a shot gun on TV or youtube,
yeehaw.

..pump the excess heat out of the oceans and sell it as electricity,
is just another one of my ways to fix it.

> But this isn't about me. This is about some very brave VUAs who built
> Devuan when everyone said it couldn't be done. Devuan is a very
> valuable resource to many, many people. Without Devuan, the cause of
> init-choice would be set back immensely.

..there's slackware.com. No apt, no deb, but we have alien, and we
have people on both sides, who can help set up a formal bug tracking
facility for slackware, that can also be set up to facilitate using
Slackware as a viable upstream alternative to Debian for Devuan.

> And now you're suggesting Devuan put that all at risk to take a stand
> on RMS. Well you know what? No distro should get involved with
> politics, and this RMS thing *is* politics.

..aye. People look for spine and integrity, once they wisen up.

> It cost Mint plenty of users when they said supporters of Israel
> shouldn't use Mint, and it just might destroy Devuan if they take a
> stand, on either side, on this RMS thing.

..aye. Again, people look for spine and integrity, once they wisen up.
Anything visibly built upon spine, integrity and wisdom will come out
as good, and we _have_ walked out of Debian on this suspect backdoor
known as systemd.

..short term "Bumpy Rides" are expected common parts of this, and
yes, way way back in its heydays a decade ago, Debian was known to
be the "slow but safe" distro.

> Listen, if you want to sign that stuff, go ahead. Don't come crying to
> me if your boss fires you for cause for violating their social
> networking policy, and you can't get unemployment because you were
> fired for cause.

..join a employee union first, then go slow, document EVERYTHING, so
you can have your union law sharks go after any Kafka style gamers
coming for you.
Steve is not wrong here, exactly because we live in an imperfect world.
RMS is not the only one, we have Snowden, Manning, Winner, Navalny and
way too many more out there.

> But don't get the Devuan distro involved. Devuan is the work of many,
> many people, for many, many years, around the once very unpopular
> stance of init-choice. Don't put that at risk.

..IMNTHO, I believe Devuan as a distro should support and endorse RMS
coming back to the FSF etc boards, for precisely that reason, lowering
the long term risk to Devuan's reputation, by standing firm on spine,
integrity and wisdom.