:: Re: [DNG] web conferencing software…
Author: Gabe Stanton
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] web conferencing software (was Re: Any interest in a Devuan Meetup in Colorado Springs or Denver?)
On Mon, 2021-03-08 at 10:08 +0200, Dimitris via Dng wrote:
> Στις 8/3/21 12:29 π.μ., ο/η Rick Moen έγραψε:
> > Leaving aside my being disappointed about people willingly
> > outsourcing
> > their recursive DNS to the second-nosiest company on the planet[1]
>
> +1.1.1.1 ... don't forget cloudflare bullies..
>

> but i do forward local queries to opennic (w/ dnscrypt) and a couple
> more trusted sources.. eg. libreops.cc offer a public resolver and
> another DoT/DoH & i do also forward to tor-resolve occasionally...
>
> so, i would be interested to know, if there's a privacy issue with
> opennnic?
> leaving the overlord (=icann) aside, seems like a good idea to me..

I wonder the same thing. I guess what appeals to me about opennic is
that they address some of the problems with the way dns is handled
elsewhere. Of course running your own dns server is optimal. But it
doesn't do a better job to address privacy, and it doesn't make dns
into a community issue like opennic is trying to do.
As a dns server operator, with opennic you also get the opportunity to
invite other anonymous (to you) people to share your dns server, thus
pooling your dns queries, which can be good for privacy.

If you're not running your own dns server when using opennic, you're
relying on the truthfulness of the dns server operator when they
checked or didn't check the flags indicating if they keep logs. That's
obviously not a very trustworthy indication, but it's nice that they're
addressing privacy right up front.

I don't know of anyone trying to do what opennic is trying to do. Are
there competing ideas in the realm of dns communities?

In the absence of a "community of dns server operators and users", is
the optimal option to have everyone run their own recursive server? But
then the upstream servers still get the birds-eye view and will very
likely abuse that information like the big companies do now.

I don't mean just to defend opennic, if there are competing or better
ideas out there, that would be good to know. I'm just throwing out my 2
cents on the matter.

Gabe