:: Re: [DNG] if2mac init.d service for…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] if2mac init.d service for persistent network interface names
On Wed, 23 Dec 2020 23:41:58 +0100
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

> Le 23/12/2020 à 22:03, Antony Stone a écrit :
> > If the kernel decides A=eth1, B=eth2, C=eth0 then there's no way
> > for udev rules to rename them, because "File exists" (which should
> > of course say "Device name exists").
>
>     This should not happen and did not happen in the past because the
> interfaces are created sequentially.

Yes it did. It happened in the 1900's. We were all advised never to use
the same type of network card for both interfaces, because which card
became eth0 would be indeterminate. I had eth0 magically switch to
eth1, and then back again, several times.

Earlier in this thread I submitted a shellscript that fixes this whole
problem, without all sorts of udev raindances.

SteveT

Steve Litt
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive