:: Re: [DNG] if2mac init.d service for…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] if2mac init.d service for persistent network interface names
On Thu, Dec 24, 2020 at 10:10:07AM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Dec 2020 23:41:58 +0100
> Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:
>
> > Le 23/12/2020 à 22:03, Antony Stone a écrit :
> > > If the kernel decides A=eth1, B=eth2, C=eth0 then there's no way
> > > for udev rules to rename them, because "File exists" (which should
> > > of course say "Device name exists").
> >
> >     This should not happen and did not happen in the past because the
> > interfaces are created sequentially.
>
> Yes it did. It happened in the 1900's. We were all advised never to use
> the same type of network card for both interfaces, because which card
> became eth0 would be indeterminate. I had eth0 magically switch to
> eth1, and then back again, several times.

I remember those days. I has two different network cards, and things were
cnveniently consistent except when I did am upgrade to a new release. Then,
and only them, might they switch places.

Instead of reconfiguring everything, I just switched network cables.

This no longer works today. I've introduced new consistent names -- something
line neth0 and neth1.

And they seem no longer to be considered to be devices. They are not present
in /dev.

Do the deep innards of the kernel still consider them devices even though
they are no longer present in /dev? Is this an effect of the devtmpfs
file system??

-- hendrik