:: Re: [DNG] if2mac init.d service for…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
New-Topics: Re: [DNG] savings from parallelism (Was: if2mac init.d service for persistent network interface names)
Subject: Re: [DNG] if2mac init.d service for persistent network interface names
Le 23/12/2020 à 22:03, Antony Stone a écrit :
> If the kernel decides A=eth1, B=eth2, C=eth0 then there's no way for udev
> rules to rename them, because "File exists" (which should of course say
> "Device name exists").

    This should not happen and did not happen in the past because the
interfaces are created sequentially. Therefore, if you want to rename
the first one, no name other than eth0 exists yet; and you can figure
out that something similar happen to the next: the kernel does not name
it by the name you have assigned to the first one, etc.

    What may have changed is Eudev managed to not work sequentially. If
it followed the order in which the interfaces show up out of the
Netlink, there would be no problem. Therefore I suspect the authors
managed to launch several threads in order to save 0.01s of the boot
time. Or to loose more because thread scheduling might well consume more
than what parallelism saves.

    Or maybe the kernel is much faster than Eudev and it has the time to
create the interfaces faster than Eudev processes them.

    But for sure the mechanism worked in the past.

--         Didier