:: Re: [DNG] if2mac init.d service for…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] if2mac init.d service for persistent network interface names
Le 24/12/2020 à 00:24, Antony Stone a écrit :
>>     Or maybe the kernel is much faster than Eudev and it has the time to
>> create the interfaces faster than Eudev processes them.
> That sounds likely.

>>     But for sure the mechanism worked in the past.
> I completely agree.

> As I said in my opening posting on the "Ethernet names revisited" thread:
>
> | I'm trying to work out how to give those interfaces the names I want; the
> | motherboard as eth0, and the PCI card as eth1 / eth2.
> |
> | Historically, I've been used to udev and /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-
> | net.rules doing this, where I can specify the name I want for each interface
> | according to its MAC address.
>
> By "historically" I meant "up to Jessie, and I think also Stretch / Ascii".
> It's not doing the same in Buster / Beowulf.

    Maybe the kernel used to give a chance to udev to rename the
interfaces and, for some reason, it stopped doing it. And the reason
might be there's no point given the new fashion of naming the interfaces
with complicated names.

    It remains possible to do what you want by the mean of a temporary
name and permutations, or by the method of Tito which uses several
temporary names, but is generic. But I agree it is irritating to not be
able to use Udev since it's sitting there anyway.