:: Re: [DNG] problematic mouse driver?
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: Haines Brown
CC: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] Linux's sucky cut and paste: was: problematic mouse driver?
Subject: Re: [DNG] problematic mouse driver?
On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 06:07:31AM -0500, Haines Brown wrote:
> About the time I upgraded to Bwowulf I experienced periodic problems
> having the mouse pasting scanneted text with middle mouse button.
>
> I find that sometimes the mouse remembers scanned text but then is
> unable to paste it. The problem comes and goes with my wired mouse but
> is always present with my wireless mouse. It primarily occurs when
> copying text from a GUI application such as displayed by a browser and
> then pastting it into a text based application such as nano. But I
> find that I can (usually?) correct the problem by scanning and pasting
> a bit of text in nano and then do it with a GUI application.
>
> Anyone have any idea of what might be going on?

A wild guess. Linux has over the ages acquired (at least) two cut and
paste mechanisms -- one from the underlying X system, and another from
the desktop systems put on top. They don't always agree as to what has
to be cut and pasted; I suspect each has its own paste buffer. They
oftern communicate but not always. There have been occasions where I
have had to cut in one pieve of software, paste into emacs, and then cut
from emacs with the other mechanism and paste where I intended
originally.

Also: a lot of mouses have a middle scroll button that doubles as a
middle clickable button. There can be a mechanical problem here; when I
click on my middle button, I sometimes get a click, sometimes one step
of a scroll (usually upwards), and sometimes both. Annoying. It takes
come carefulness to get the signal I want.

-- hendrik