:: [DNG] Linux's sucky cut and paste: …
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Linux's sucky cut and paste: was: problematic mouse driver?
On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 08:16:11 -0500
Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:

> A wild guess. Linux has over the ages acquired (at least) two cut
> and paste mechanisms -- one from the underlying X system, and another
> from the desktop systems put on top. They don't always agree as to
> what has to be cut and pasted; I suspect each has its own paste
> buffer. They oftern communicate but not always. There have been
> occasions where I have had to cut in one pieve of software, paste
> into emacs, and then cut from emacs with the other mechanism and
> paste where I intended originally.

Other than deliberate exclusion of Linux users by Microsoft and their
henchmen, the only area I've seen where Windows is better than Linux is
cut and paste. On Windows, it's Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, and IIRC that works
seamlessly on both CLI and GUI. On Linux, it can be Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V,
or highlight and middle mouse button (be sure to press and not turn at
all), or menu edit and paste, or who knows what else. I hate, hate,
HATE it: It deeply cuts into my daily workflow.

I've tried pastebin managers in the past, but they seemed to make
things worse.

If anybody knows of a pastebin manager (but not associated with KDE)
that makes cut and paste on any Linux X (not associated with a specific
wm/de (Window Manager/Desktop Environment)), please let me know.

> Also: a lot of mouses have a middle scroll button that doubles as a
> middle clickable button. There can be a mechanical problem here;
> when I click on my middle button, I sometimes get a click, sometimes
> one step of a scroll (usually upwards), and sometimes both.
> Annoying. It takes come carefulness to get the signal I want.

Yes. You need to press straight down, with absolutely no hint of
pressure up or down, left or right. Cutting and pasting shouldn't be
this hard.

SteveT

Steve Litt
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive