:: Re: [DNG] problematic mouse driver?
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] problematic mouse driver?
On Sunday 22 November 2020 at 17:01:31, Tomasz Torcz wrote:

> I wonder if your workflow is similar with wired and wireless mice.
> Maybe you do something different, like closing the window in the
> meantime?
>
> This is important, because selecting text with mouse does NOT actually
> copy the text! It is just selected. If you use middle button, then the
> text is taken from original window and pasted into target.
> Now, if you select text, then close the original window, the middle
> button won't paste. There will be no original window to take the text
> from.

I discovered this myself fairly recently, and indeed it did surprise me.

I _had_ thought there was this thing called "the clipboard" to which copied
text was, well, copied, and that it could then be pasted afterwards into
whatever you wanted, but indeed, it no longer exists if you close the window
it was selected from.

I find it remarkable how many such basic and simple things I keep on learning
about Linux, after having been using it for 25 years, and as my exclusive
operating system for 20 years...

Antony.

--
"The future is already here. It's just not evenly distributed yet."

- William Gibson

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.