:: Re: [DNG] netbooting Dev1
Author: karl
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] netbooting Dev1
dal:
> > From: Dng [mailto:dng-bounces@lists.dyne.org] On Behalf Of karl@???

..
> > What do you need help with ?
> This is about which media and how
> can be used to netboot Devuan at the installation time.

The media is ethernet, don't know if it is possible over wifi.

Or is it so that you don't really want netbooting, instead you want
to boot from some local media as in the "netboot cd" procedure ?

> AFAICS the available installer is not capable of setting up networking
> without the installation CD iso at hand.
> This means it cannot proceed if netbooted.

As you wrote you have a lot of similar installations, I suggest you
make a model fs and copy (dd) it to the new disks. And then using
a selfmade script that sets up the config.

The easiest way is to use a sata docking station and do all the disks
in one run. This is one example:
https://www.deltaco.se/produkter/deltaco/h%C3%A5rddisktillbeh%C3%B6r/h%C3%A5rddiskdockning/MAP-GD35U3

> Did you succeed to install current Devuan with netboot?

Not tried that.

///

It is a while since I did this, so this info might be old.

To netboot, you go into the "bios" and tell it to boot over pxe;
perhaps it already has it as boot alternative.

On the "server" side, you have a rarp/bootp/dhcp server and a tftp server,
possible also a nfs server.

The usual procedure is to boot a pxebootloader which then boots the
kernel. Booth thoose is to be available on a tftp server.
The kernel has to be specially prepared with mknbi.

The kernel then mounts a nfs fs as root.

Regards,
/Karl Hammar