:: Re: [DNG] Future of gNewSense: Debi…
Author: al3xu5 / dotcommon
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Future of gNewSense: Debian or Devuan?
Il giorno giovedì 01/08/2019 12:26:02 -0400
Steve Litt <slitt@???> ha scritto:

> On Wed, 31 Jul 2019 10:29:39 +0200
> Narcis Garcia <informatica@???> wrote:

Hi

I was a gnewsense user (and a contributor to the website documentation also) in
the past. [0]

[0] http://www.gnewsense.org/Main/HomePage

gnewsense was one of the first distributions listed among the "Free GNU/Linux
distributions" which follow the FSF's "Free System Distribution Guidelines (GNU
FSDG)". This means they include, and propose, exclusively free software,
rejecting nonfree applications, nonfree programming platforms, nonfree drivers,
nonfree firmware “blobs”, nonfree games, and any other nonfree software, as
well as nonfree manuals or documentation. [1]

[1] https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html

The last gnewsense release was 4.0 of May 2016, derived from Debian (platforms:
i386, amd64, Lemote Yeelong) but with a Linux-libre kernel and only with libre
packages (using a "Builder" script to remove nonfree software). [2]

[2] https://savannah.nongnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=8535

About ten days ago (Jul 23), Sam Geeraerts announced the gnewsense-dev mailing
list that it has decided to step down as the maintainer of gNewSense. [3]

[3] https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gnewsense-dev/2019-07/msg00000.html

Therefore, I think I understand that the actual "gnewsense context" is:
- find a new manteiner, and contributors
- restart development to produce a new updated version
- decide which distribution to base on for the future

The quoted message above come from the gnewsense-users mailing list [4], where
there is some discussion about which base distribution gnewsense should
adopt in the future.

[4] https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gnewsense-users/2019-07/msg00011.html

It seems to me the discussion is just about technicals details they need to
know to decide how to move on.

> Anyway, if this is a suggestion to yank all nonfree out of Devuan and
> call it something else, that's fine with me. As a matter of fact,
> Devuan could slowly, selectively and judiciously make the same
> substitutions as the child distro.

+1

--
al3xu5

Say NO to copyright, patents, trademarks and any industrial design restrictions.
Public GPG/PGP key block
ID:           4096 bit RSA key 69C5977BF94CFE23
Fingerprint:  59C6 9DC7 CD4B CF2F A190  E3DE 69C5 977B F94C FE23