:: Re: [DNG] Future of gNewSense: Debi…
Author: fsmithred
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Future of gNewSense: Debian or Devuan?
On 8/1/19 12:26 PM, Steve Litt wrote:

> Anyway, if this is a suggestion to yank all nonfree out of Devuan and
> call it something else, that's fine with me. As a matter of fact,
> Devuan could slowly, selectively and judiciously make the same
> substitutions as the child distro.

There's not really anything to yank out. Don't have a non-free repo and
don't put non-free firmware on the installer isos. They probably also want
to use a libre kernel. This is not a difficult task, and gnuinos already
does this.

If devuan ever provides a free/libre repo and release, it will be in
addition to the one that provides non-free firmware for the same reasons
you state below. This is something that's been discussed at meetings
several times, and I think we're all in agreement.

> But if the suggestion is to yank out nonfree and call it Devuan, for
> practical purposes that would make Devuan unbootable for a lot of
> people. Malfunctions during boot can have causes depending on tens or
> hundreds of factors, many hidden away. It's a bridge too far to
> expect someone booting up a distro for the first time to 1)
> Know all his hardware, 2) Know exactly what drivers and firmware to
> use, 3) Know where to find those drivers and firmware, 4) Know all the
> commands to correctly load those drivers and firmware from a thumb
> drive, and 5) Have enough spare time to go through all this.

Anyone who thinks otherwise should search the list archives for 'broadcom'.

fsmithred