:: Re: [DNG] Future of gNewSense: Debi…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Future of gNewSense: Debian or Devuan?
On Wed, 31 Jul 2019 10:29:39 +0200
Narcis Garcia <informatica@???> wrote:

> [...]

There's not enough context here to understand, and the attributions
appear screwed up. I have no Devuan posts from Sam Geeraerts nor Will
Hill, so I'm assuming this came in from somewhere else
(gnewsense-users@??? maybe?).

Anyway, if this is a suggestion to yank all nonfree out of Devuan and
call it something else, that's fine with me. As a matter of fact,
Devuan could slowly, selectively and judiciously make the same
substitutions as the child distro.

But if the suggestion is to yank out nonfree and call it Devuan, for
practical purposes that would make Devuan unbootable for a lot of
people. Malfunctions during boot can have causes depending on tens or
hundreds of factors, many hidden away. It's a bridge too far to
expect someone booting up a distro for the first time to 1)
Know all his hardware, 2) Know exactly what drivers and firmware to
use, 3) Know where to find those drivers and firmware, 4) Know all the
commands to correctly load those drivers and firmware from a thumb
drive, and 5) Have enough spare time to go through all this.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2019 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist