:: Re: [devuan-dev] Task: 2019-06-05 (…
Author: KatolaZ
To: devuan-dev
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Task: 2019-06-05 (rrq) pkgmaster master needed to fix release links
On Thu, Jun 06, 2019 at 04:54:20PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Jaromil (jaromil@???):
>
> > the difference here is that Devuan is not an organisation, a company,
> > a corporation or an IT management dept; but a community driven
> > GNU+Linux distribution where we are all unpaid volunteers devolving
> > free time in exchange of quality (both on the technical level and the
> > human interaction).
>
> All very true and wise, and I commend this attitude of putting human
> concerns first, always.
>
> At the same time, it still remains true that small problems if not timely
> addressed tend to turn into big ones, as I was suggesting.

I know this is yet another unduly intervention on my side, but it's
also true that things do not get done by themselves, or by simply
chatting about them while sipping a smokey single malt whisky in a
comfy leather armchair.

Usually actions need just and only people to act upon them, rather
than nice web frameworks to collect and showcase them. Moreover, in a
collaborative and voluntary environment "pushing" and "nudging" the
other volunteers normally does not increase their ability (or will) to
dedicate their free time to the project. It rather obtains the
opposite outcome.

I am saying this because from the outside it looks like the main focus
of this thread is about how to get things to be done *listed*
effectively and how to get people accountable for what they have done
and what they have not done, rather than about gettings things to be
done actually *done*. You know, pointing fingers towards what has not
been done does not get that thing any closer to be actually done in
the end.

Why don't you just go with whatever works for the people that actually
*do* the job, rather than with what other people discussing about the
problem think might be working in theory for a hypothetical large
collaboration team with a hypothetical prescribed workflow and a
hypothetical amount of resources at their disposal? And, maybe, try
to check whether any of the outstanding tasks is within *your* *own*
reach ("your" is generic here), and just work on it.

Waiting for somebody to step in and do the job is the easiest way to
"support" a project, but it has never really helped getting things
actually *done*.

Again, this is a passing-by impression from an outsider who will most
probably not pass-by again any time soon, so it's probably best to
simply disregard this comment and move on. But maybe try to be careful
about the impression you give to passing-by outsiders...

KatolaZ