:: Re: [DNG] calendars, contacts, to d…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] calendars, contacts, to do lists
On Thu, 23 May 2019 10:44:00 -0400
Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:

> I'm looking for software to handle appointment calendars, contact
> lists, and todo lists.

VimOutliner is how you handle todo lists. It even has branch-wide
completion statistics. Debian has a VimOutliner package, so I'd assume
Devuan does too. If the package doesn't work, I can send you a 0.35
tarball.

I use Vim for contact lists. It's about as freeform as you can get. If
you wanted more structure, you could use VimOutliner.

I don't know what "calendaring" is, but I use my own home-grown
reminder system. Four times a day it pops up and tells me how many days
it is til I have to do something. The days the reminders pop up are
completely configurable. I run it from my

You didn't mention this, but I also have my own home-grown time
tracker, so I can track my time between several projects, and bill or
not bill accordingly.

> Yes, I realise I may not find an ideal one. I'm open to wriging my
> own if necessary,

Writing your own is how you get the workflow you really want.

> or (prefereably) modifying others' open-source
> versions, (or even more prefereably) finding one that is already
> ideal.
>
> What I'd like it to do, besides the obvious ones of storing my data
> and letting me edit and dispay it.
>
> * I should be able to use it on Devuan.

You can use all of mine in Devuan. They're made in Python, Perl, Lua or
Ruby, depending on the time they were written. Some have dependencies
on my UMENU software, which runs on any Linux, and others have
dependencies on widely available VimOutliner, which runs on any Linux.

> * Ideally, it should use replicated data. Like the way distributed
> revision control is used to replicate source code. Yes, I'm willing
> to handle merge conflicts manually on sync, but I do want to be in
> control of merging and possible race-conditions.

Sounds to me like a job for git.

> * I don't want to need aways-on network connectivity,

Then you're not going to operate it remotely. With my software, if I
want to operate it from Macdonalds (I don't attend Starbucks), I just
ssh in to my DDD (Daily Driver Desktop). My tools have no wire
protocols: They assume the user is right there on the terminal.

> * I don't want to depend on Google's calendar services, but I'd like
> to be able to use them to coordinate with other people who do.

My software doesn't and never will coordinate with middlemen like
Google. I'm sure you could write software that acts as a bridge between
my software (or somebody else's software) and Google calendar services.
Better also provide some sort of backup facility for the data stored on
Google: They have no real incentive to keep your data intact.

> * I'd like to be able to use established protocols rather than
> inventing my own.

My software uses no protocols. Well, except that some of it uses
tab-indented outlines (VimOutliner).

> * I'd like to be able to access it on android as well as plain
> desktop Linux. (The desire for android compatibility will drop away
> if I ever get a plain-Linux phone). (This could be a web interface)

I know nothing about Android, but I'd imagine if you can get my stuff
on the phone, and run Perl/Ruby/Lua/Python software on the phone, that
my stuff will work.

> * I'd like the system to be simple in concept and execution. No
> bloat, no incomprehensible frameworks, etc.

You just described my stuff.

SteveT