:: Re: [DNG] New application ready to …
Author: wirelessduck
To: Didier Kryn
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [DNG] New application ready to test: hopman

> On 24 Apr 2019, at 01:06, Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:
>
>> Le 23/04/2019 à 13:22, Edward Bartolo via Dng a écrit :
>> Making it a Debian package should be easy. Use dh_make to create a
>> 'debian' subdirectory with the necessary Debian control files. Then,
>> when that is ready build the debian packages using 'gbp buildpackage'.
>> Both commands should be run in the source's top directory.
>

>     Thanks Edward.

>     ' gbp buildpackage'  fails because hopman-1.0 isnot a git directory. The git directory is actually one level higher in my case.

>     I need a method not relying on git.

>     Here is what I tried before. dh_make works fine, no problem with it.

>     Then I tried dpkg-buildpackage but it failed (I don'tremember for sure why, maybe because of the absence of a gpg signature).

>     Then I tried 'debuild -us -uc' and it did produce a .deb file with the amd64 extension in the name, which is what I expected, but, when I installed the package with 'dpkg -i', it installed a few files which are present in all debian packages, but none of the usefull files this package should provide (executable, manpage, config file, icon and launcher).

>     The matter is rather complicated and I only tried recipes :~)

>         Didier

May I suggest looking at this reference? Apologies if you have already seen it.

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/dother.en.html

It lists the various files under the debian/ directory and what they are used for. Eg. Installing manpages, init scripts, readme, creating symlinks on install, pre/postinst, etc.

I am using the command “dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -i -I” for building the packages. Also using regular “dch” for the changelog as my git repository is not in the required “debian format” for “gbp”.

HTH

—Tom