:: Re: [DNG] /var/lib/dbus/machine-id …
Author: Alessandro Selli
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /var/lib/dbus/machine-id -- new dbus version
On 08/03/19 at 23:58, KatolaZ wrote:
> Dear D1rs,
>
> following the discussion about /var/lib/dbus/machine-id, you find a
> new version of dbus in unstable and beowulf. The new version is
> 1.12.12-1+devuan2, and it should hit pkgmaster in the next 10 minutes.
>
> I have added a variable "IDTYPE" in /etc/default/dbus which is set by
> default to "RANDOM". This will result in /var/lib/dbus/machine-id
> being re-generated at boot time (and only at boot time). If IDTYPE is
> set to anything else, /var/lib/dbus/machine-id is preserved across
> subsequent boots. In this way, the sysadmin can choose to have the
> dbus machine-id persist across boots, if they like, but the default
> beaviour will be to have it re-generated at each boot.
>
> Please test it out and report any issue. There is an open bug (#304)
> on bugs.devuan.org. Use that one for comments/updates please.

  Goor.  My /var/lib/dbus/machine-id dates Sept., I'll report shall it
not change next reboot.

> Regarding /etc/machine-id: it looks like it is installed only by
> systemd, so any devuan installation which originally was a Debian
> might probably have it. My guess is that it should be possible to
> remove it altogether. If any application wants it (somebody mentioned
> chromium) you could replace it with a symlink to
> /var/lib/dbus/machine-id.
>
> I guess replacing /etc/machine-id every 10 minutes to avoid chromium
> tracking you is not particularly smart: I am pretty sure chromium
> would just read it when it starts, and then keep it in RAM, so you
> might need to restart chromium every 10 minutes as well.

  Plus, I would not make it evident to programs that my machine-id value
is bogus.  I'd let them believe it's a good one across the session.

  Bye,

--
Alessandro Selli <alessandroselli@???>
VOIP SIP: dhatarattha@???