:: Re: [DNG] /var/lib/dbus/machine-id …
Author: al3xu5 / dotcommon
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /var/lib/dbus/machine-id -- new dbus version
Il giorno venerdì 08/03/2019 23:58:02 +0100
KatolaZ <katolaz@???> ha scritto:

> Dear D1rs,
>
> following the discussion about /var/lib/dbus/machine-id, you find a
> new version of dbus in unstable and beowulf. The new version is
> 1.12.12-1+devuan2, and it should hit pkgmaster in the next 10 minutes.
>
> [cut]
>
> Regarding /etc/machine-id: it looks like it is installed only by
> systemd, so any devuan installation which originally was a Debian
> might probably have it. ]...]My guess is that it should be possible to
> remove it altogether. If any application wants it (somebody mentioned
> chromium) you could replace it with a symlink to
> /var/lib/dbus/machine-id.
>
> I guess replacing /etc/machine-id every 10 minutes [...]

Hi

I am using ASCII, migrated from Jessie, migrated from Debian (maybe but
I do not remember)...

Unitil I will migrate to Beowulf, I guess adopt this proposed solution:

1) symlink /etc/machine-id to /var/lib/dbus/machine-id

2) run boot: echo date +%s%N | md5sum | cut -c 1-32 > /var/lib/dbus/machine-id

So please help me: what is the right way to run the previous command at
each boot?

Another point... I have:

$ hostid
007f0101

What the best to do about this? Keep this value? Change it to what else? ...

Thank you
Regards

--
al3xu5 / dotcommon
Say NO to copyright, patents, trademarks and any industrial design restrictions.