:: [DNG] /var/lib/dbus/machine-id -- n…
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] /var/lib/dbus/machine-id -- new dbus version
Dear D1rs,

following the discussion about /var/lib/dbus/machine-id, you find a
new version of dbus in unstable and beowulf. The new version is
1.12.12-1+devuan2, and it should hit pkgmaster in the next 10 minutes.

I have added a variable "IDTYPE" in /etc/default/dbus which is set by
default to "RANDOM". This will result in /var/lib/dbus/machine-id
being re-generated at boot time (and only at boot time). If IDTYPE is
set to anything else, /var/lib/dbus/machine-id is preserved across
subsequent boots. In this way, the sysadmin can choose to have the
dbus machine-id persist across boots, if they like, but the default
beaviour will be to have it re-generated at each boot.

Please test it out and report any issue. There is an open bug (#304)
on bugs.devuan.org. Use that one for comments/updates please.

Regarding /etc/machine-id: it looks like it is installed only by
systemd, so any devuan installation which originally was a Debian
might probably have it. My guess is that it should be possible to
remove it altogether. If any application wants it (somebody mentioned
chromium) you could replace it with a symlink to
/var/lib/dbus/machine-id.

I guess replacing /etc/machine-id every 10 minutes to avoid chromium
tracking you is not particularly smart: I am pretty sure chromium
would just read it when it starts, and then keep it in RAM, so you
might need to restart chromium every 10 minutes as well.

HND

KatolaZ