:: Re: [DNG] /var/lib/dbus/machine-id …
Author: Erik Christiansen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /var/lib/dbus/machine-id -- new dbus version
On 11.03.19 10:32, al3xu5 / dotcommon wrote:
> Unitil I will migrate to Beowulf, I guess adopt this proposed solution:
>
> 1) symlink /etc/machine-id to /var/lib/dbus/machine-id
>
> 2) run boot: echo date +%s%N | md5sum | cut -c 1-32 > /var/lib/dbus/machine-id
>
> So please help me: what is the right way to run the previous command at
> each boot?

Without the echo, since:

$ echo date +%s%N
date +%s%N

so the md5sum is the same no matter when or how often it is run.
Sans echo does what is intended:

$ date +%s%N | md5sum | cut -c 1-32
2e0fa1728b9def222af420cf100c4447

$ date +%s%N | md5sum | cut -c 1-32
46f54d7ed30bcd3c74b73100597a5813

If you use sysv init, then I'd probably do it in /etc/rc.local, as in
the old days. Others may have more modern suggestions.

Erik