:: [DNG] SOLVED: slashes in FAT file n…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] SOLVED: slashes in FAT file names
On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 10:23:14PM -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> I have a 32GiB microSD card an am reying to read it on my Devuan system.
> I munted it with a simpel mount /dev/sdb1 /nedia/hendrik/
>
> It reads almost everything fine, except for a few files whose names
> contain '/' characters. I can handle the other horribly weird
> characters in file names -- emacs Rename in the directory
> editor works just fine. But the names containing '/'s even have
> emacs stymied.
>
> ls -l lists them like this:
>
> -rw-r--r-- 1 hendrik hendrik       0 Sep  1  2007 06 - Track 6.mq3
> -????????? ? ?       ?             ?            ? 07/TRA~1.MP3
> -rw-r--r-- 1 hendrik hendrik 3585716 Sep  1  2007 08-URA~1.MP3

> With the slash, it can't even figure out the permissions, ownership, or
> file size. Preumably some parts of the system interpret the '/' as the
> directory name separator, and in this file system that's not what it
> is.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas here other than begging, borrowing, or
> buying a Windows system?

Thanks for all the advice. Most of it was instructive, and some was
actually useful.

Didier, thanks for telling me about openat. It won't work here, but it
will be useful in another project I have.

I haven't tried fsck.fat.

I tried magicrescue. But it kept finding many many starts for mp3
files, and running a script for each one to see if it was really and mp3
file, in the course of which writing file hundreds of megbytes long,
deciding it wasn't mp3 after all and deleting it.

Far too slow. Running for a full 18 hours found nothing, and it looked
as if it had searched ony a fraction of the 32G SDXC card.

I then used WxHexEdit, a hex editor, in immediate update mode. It found
the troublesome file names, and I replaced the slashes by zeros. After
that it was easy to read those files.

-- hendrik