:: Re: [DNG] slashes in FAT file names
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] slashes in FAT file names
On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 10:00:00PM -0600, golinux@??? wrote:
> On 2018-12-21 21:23, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas here other than begging, borrowing, or
> > buying a Windows system?
> >
> > -- hendrik

> Don't use / in filenames. I thought it was a no-no. Yes it is:
>
> "File names in Linux can contain any characters other than (1) a forward
> slash ( / ), which is reserved for use as the name of the root directory
> (i.e., the directory that contains all other directories and files) and as a
> directory separator . . ."

I know, I know. It wasn't me that put the filenames there. Presumably
the Microsoft system he used didn't have that restriction.

I also know that modern Windows does have this restriction. Presumably
dating back historically to the days of original DOS, ahidh used
slashes as a marker for command language flags.

But back then a program could still stick anything at all in the file
name. And some did.

- hendrik