:: Re: [DNG] Added desktop-live to the…
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Added desktop-live to the install guides
On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 13:51:58 -0600, golinux@??? wrote in message
<80c73e7cb3edf956e191a56acaeb4f13@???>:

> Hi Michael,
>
> Thanks for your thoughtful and detailed comments. Response inline
> below.
>
> On 2019-01-01 09:46, Michael wrote:
> > On Tuesday 01 January 2019 03:46:52 am golinux@??? wrote:
> >> tweaking the install guides and adding one for the desktop-live gui
> >> install. You can start here:
> >>
> >> https://beta.devuan.org/os/documentation/install-guides/start-here.html
> >

> > Hi golinux,
> >
> > These thoughts are from the angle of helping someone who’s never
> > done an
> > install of any OS before. My guess is most people haven’t, as when
> > buying a
> > new computer the OS is almost always already installed now days.
> >
> > I’ve added stubs where I can, but do edit for better user clarity!
> >
> > # # #
> >

> > # # Sections to Add:
> >
> > = Which Release version is right for me?
> >
> > Explain when/why they should choose ASCII or Jessie.
> >
> > = {Explanation of the .iso naming scheme}
> >
> > devuan_ascii_2.0.0_amd64_netinst.iso
> > ^^^ Who we are!
> >        ^^^ The Release name
> >                    ^^^ The architecture
> >                          ^^^ The Installation image

> > Needs fixed width to line up properly...
> >
> > = {Pathing walk through of how to find the right .iso}
> >

> This useful information is beyond the scope of these INSTALL guides.
> But there are already pages on the website that cover much of it.
> Does it really need to be repeated?
> https://devuan.org/os/releases
> https://devuan.org/os/filenaming

..I'd say yes, we _are_ dealing with humans, the very source of human
errors, some errors happen because humans have gold fish type attention
spans that make them forget what they read in 2 minutes ago, often
because they watch waaay too much TV. ;o)

..these from https://devuan.org/os/filenaming could use clarification:
> desktop-live: refracta installer for bios or uefi (recommended for
> reviews)

..this gives "tech" magazine writers the best impression to base their
review story on?

> minimal-live: refracta installer console-based system (focus
> on accessibility)

..this will work for blind people?

> netinst: classic network installer, downloads packages from the
> network

..we should add "all" or "ALL", saying "classic network installer,
downloads ALL packages from the network."

..my understanding is all the other installers are be able to remain
offline while installing a working base OS that's ready to go safely
online to fetch whatever it needs to finish tweaking etc the installed
base OS.

> cd: classic CD installer with base packages (not recommended for
> desktop)

..why not???

> > # # Section: Supported architectures
> >
> > Define what both of these mean.
> >
> > amd64: 64-bit CPUs, used for both Intel and AMD consumer level
> > CPUs. I386: 32-bit CPUs, ???
> >

> Again not really appropriate for the INSTALL guides. Hardware is
> soooo not my thing. If someone wants to do a write up, we can find a
> place for it somewhere on the website.
>

> > # # Section: Installation images
> >
> > Rename to “What Installation image should I chose?”
> >

> There has to be a more concise way of saying that. ;) Minimalism
> rules here. ;)

..some people need to be _told_ they can choose, before
they will get off their ass choosing an option.

> > Add Subsection: One install with access to the Internet?
> >
> > Use the `*_netinst.iso` which will install a base system then
> > download the
> > remaining packages during the installation process.
> >
> > Add Subsection: Multiple installs or no access to the Internet
> > during install?
> >
> > Choose the single `*_dvd-1.iso`. The image contains several desktop
> > choices
> > and additional software options. ...
> >

> That information is already on the index and get-devuan pages of the
> website as well as one of the links posted above. Those who will not
> seek will not find.

...and those who do not know or see they can or should seek, will not
seek. Etc.

> > # # Section: Check the integrity of images
> >
> > Add how to for Windows. You can probably swipe Fedora’s? But
> > someone would
> > need to check both copyright concerns and that the instructions
> > work.
> >
> > https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/18/html/Burning_ISO_images_to_disc/sect-Burning_ISO_images_to_disc-Validating_the_Files-Validating_at_the_Windows_Command_Prompt.html
> >

> Could you possibly provide that information for inclusion?
>

> > # # Check the integrity of images Vs. Verify the images
> >
> > This isn’t my field, but??? If they’ve done a sha256sum, is there
> > any value
> > in checking a keychain? Or are these just two alternatives of the
> > same thing
> > and these two sections need to be sub-sections of the same section?
> >

> I think they are alternative ways of verifying. I always do a
> sha256sum. Can someone please clarify?

.._many_ to do checksumming. With md5sum, I do it better than
the Norwegian Government. Yeah, _crazy_.

..checksumming and "why sha256sum" is well worth a bunch of web pages.